U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
Does EIA have historical gasoline prices for each state?
EIA publishes retail (pump) prices, including taxes, for selected cities and states back to 2000; weekly and average monthly and annual prices, by grade and formulation are available.
Average monthly (and annual) prices for all states, from retail outlets excluding taxes back to 1983 by grade and formulation (and other sales types) are also available. (Note: data collection for the price series was suspended in May 2011; the most recent data available are for February 2011.)
Prices for all States, including taxes, can be calculated from EIA's retail outlet price data (above) and historical tax data available as follows:
For federal and state taxes for years prior to 1992; see the Rates and Revenues section of the Motor Fuels sections of FHA's annual Highway Statistics.
There are also estimates for historical average annual gasoline prices back to 1970 available for each state in the State Energy Data System (SEDS). The prices are in dollars per million British thermal units ($/MMBtu), and include federal and state gasoline taxes, but exclude local taxes. There are two ways to obtain the price estimates from the SEDS data:
To obtain the prices from the SEDS data, use the CSV file for Prices. In the file, the code for gasoline prices (for the transportation sector in $/MMBtu) is: State Abbreviation (in column A) and MGACD (in column B); example, for Alaska: AK— MGACD.
Last updated: March 27, 2014
Other FAQs about Gasoline
- Can I tell where the gasoline at my local station comes from?
- Does EIA have city or county-level energy consumption and price data?
- Does EIA have gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
- Does EIA have historical gasoline prices for each state?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish inflation-adjusted gasoline prices?
- How many gallons of gasoline does one barrel of oil make?
- How much carbon dioxide is produced by burning gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What was the highest U.S. average retail price of regular gasoline?
- What's up (and down) with gasoline prices?
- Why are the retail pump prices for gasoline and diesel fuel in increments of 0.9 cents?
- Why don't fuel prices change as quickly as crude oil prices?
- Why is the United States exporting gasoline when prices are so high?
- How much ethanol is in gasoline and how does it affect fuel economy?
- How much gasoline does the United States consume?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of regular gasoline?
- What is the outlook for gasoline prices for 2014 and for 2015?