U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
What's up (and down) with gasoline prices?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration’s (EIA) analysis of the petroleum market indicates that fluctuations in the price of crude oil are the main contributing factors to the substantial changes in gasoline prices the United States has experienced in recent years. Crude oil prices are affected by levels of supply relative to actual and expected demand for the petroleum products made from crude oil.
Last updated: December 18, 2014
Other FAQs about Prices
- Are the prices that EIA publishes adjusted for inflation?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have energy prices for countries?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- Does EIA have gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish coking coal prices?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- Does EIA publish inflation-adjusted gasoline prices?
- Does EIA publish off-road diesel fuel prices?
- How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- How much does it cost to produce crude oil and natural gas?
- What was the highest U.S. average retail price of regular gasoline?
- What's up (and down) with gasoline prices?
- Where can I find out about energy-related grants or tax credits for my home or business?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Who do I contact to complain about high energy prices?
- Why am I being charged more for propane than the price on EIA's website?
- Why are diesel fuel prices higher than gasoline prices?
- Why are the retail pump prices for gasoline and diesel fuel in increments of 0.9 cents?
- Why don't fuel prices change as quickly as crude oil prices?
- Why is the United States exporting gasoline when prices are so high?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What are the differences between various types of crude oil prices?
- What are the different coal prices published by EIA?
- What are the projections for U.S. gasoline and diesel fuel prices?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?