U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
Does EIA have data on the costs for electricity transmission and distribution?
EIA does not have data on the costs to build or operate electricity transmission lines and distribution networks. However, EIA does publish estimates for the average annual prices of U.S. electricity generation, transmission, and distribution for two base years and projections out to the year 2040 in the tables of the Annual Energy Outlook 2014.
- Average annual prices for the United States - Table 8. Electricity Supply, Disposition, Prices, and Emissions. See the section “Prices by Service Category” in the table.
- Average annual prices for 22 electricity market regions of the United States - Electric Power Projections for Electricity Market Module Regions,Tables 73 to 95. See the section “Prices by Service Category” in each table.
EIA does not have similar estimates for other countries.
Last updated: May 1, 2014
Other FAQs about Electricity
- Can customers choose their electricity supplier?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on each power plant in the United States?
- Does EIA have data on the costs for electricity transmission and distribution?
- Does EIA have electricity prices by state?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish data on peak or hourly electricity generation, demand, and prices?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- How is electricity used in United States homes?
- How many and what kind of power plants are there in the United States?
- How many nuclear power plants are in the United States, and where are they located?
- How many smart meters are installed in the U.S. and who has them?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- How much electricity does a nuclear power plant generate?
- How much electricity does an American home use?
- How much electricity is lost in transmission and distribution in the United States?
- How much electricity is used for lighting in the United States?
- How much energy is consumed in the world by each sector?
- How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
- How much of world energy consumption and electricity generation is from renewable energy?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- What is the difference between electricity generation capacity and electricity generation?
- What is the efficiency of different types of power plants?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?