U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How many alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles are there in the U.S.?
EIA estimates that in 20111 there were nearly 11 million alternative fuel vehicles2 in the United States. This total includes nearly 10 million ethanol-flex fuel vehicles, of which about 1 million actually used E85.
EIA estimates that there are also about 2 million hybrid-gas-electric and diesel-electric vehicles.
Alternative Fuel Vehicles in Use 2011:
|Light Duty||Medium Duty||Heavy Duty||Total|
|Ethanol — Flex Fuel||819,133||43,387||317||862,837|
|Liquid Petroleum Gas (Propane)||76,647||26,855||35,975||139,477|
|Compressed Natural Gas||65,980||23,343||28,891||118,214|
|Liquefied Natural Gas||167||130||3,139||3,436|
|Electric — Battery||66,409||87||779||67,295|
Total, Light Duty Ethanol-Flex Fuel and Hybrid Vehicles 2011 :
|Ethanol — Flex Fuel3||9,946,09|
Source: Annual Energy Outlook 2013, Table 58, Light-Duty Vehicle Stock by Technology Type.
1.Most recent data available.
2. A vehicle designed to operate on an alternative fuel, such as electricity, ethanol, liquid petroleum gas, or natural gas. The vehicle could be either a dedicated vehicle designed to operate exclusively on alternative fuel or a nondedicated vehicle designed to operate on alternative fuel and/or a traditional fuel.
3. Includes all ethanol flex-fuel vehicles; most are not using E85.
Last updated: May 16, 2013
Other FAQs about Renewables
- Can I generate and sell electricity to an electric utility?
- Does EIA have data on the movement of crude oil and ethanol by rail and truck?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- How many alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles are there in the U.S.?
- How much U.S. energy consumption and electricity generation comes from renewable sources?
- How much biodiesel is produced, imported, exported, and consumed in the United States?
- How much ethanol is in gasoline and how does it affect fuel economy?
- How much ethanol is produced, imported, and consumed in the U.S.?
- How much of world energy consumption and electricity generation is from renewable energy?