U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
Does EIA have data on shale (or tight oil) production?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates in the Annual Energy Outlook 2015, that about 4.2 million barrels per day of crude oil were produced directly from tight oil resources in the United States in 2014, or about 49% of total U.S. crude oil production. Tight oil is oil embedded in low-permeable shale, sandstone, and carbonate rock formations.
Annual Energy Outlook 2015, Table 14. Oil and gas supply (Reference case)
Shale in the United States
U.S. tight oil production: Alternative supply projections and an overview of EIA’s analysis of well-level data aggregated to the county level
Today in Energy articles related to U.S. oil production
Last updated: April 30, 2015
Other FAQs about Crude Oil
- Do we have enough oil worldwide to meet our future needs?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have data on shale (or tight oil) production?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does the EIA have data on the movement of crude oil and petroleum products by rail and truck?
- How many gallons of diesel fuel and gasoline are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- How much of the oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil consumed by the United States comes from foreign sources?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and from where?
- What are the products and uses of petroleum?
- What countries are the top net importers of oil?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?