U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
Does EIA have data on shale (or “tight oil”) production?
EIA publishes estimates and projections for "tight oil," which is oil embedded in low-permeable sandstone, carbonate, and shale rock.
Historical production estimates and projections are in Figure 1. U.S. domestic crude oil production by source,1990-2040 (million barrels per day) of the Annual Energy Outlook 2013, Early Release Reference Case, and in Figure 97. Total U.S. tight oil production by geologic formation, 2011-2040 (million barrels per day) of the complete Annual Energy Outlook 2013.
New EIA assessment shows faster rise in U.S. oil production and less U.S. oil consumption
U.S. Oil Production Continues to Grow
North Dakota crude oil production continues to rise
Williston Basin crude oil production and takeaway capacity are increasing
EIA tracks U.S. tight oil production as volumes soar
Trends in Eagle Ford drilling highlight the search for oil and natural gas liquids
Last updated: May 21, 2013
Other FAQs about Crude Oil
- Do we have enough oil worldwide to meet our future needs?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have data on shale (or “tight oil”) production?
- Does EIA have data on the movement of crude oil and ethanol by rail and truck?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How dependent is the United States on foreign oil?
- How many gallons of gasoline does one barrel of oil make?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- How much does it cost to produce crude oil and natural gas?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- Where is the boundary for state and federal offshore oil and gas production?
- Why don't fuel prices change as quickly as crude oil prices?
- Why is the United States exporting gasoline when prices are so high?
- How much of the oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil does the United States consume per year?
- How much oil is produced in Alaska and where does it go?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and from where?
- What are the differences between various types of crude oil prices?
- What are the products and uses of petroleum?
- What countries are the top world oil consumers?
- What countries are the top world oil net exporters?
- What countries are the top world oil net importers?
- What countries are the top world oil producers?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of regular gasoline?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?