U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How many and what kind of power plants are there in the United States?
There are about 19,023 individual generators at about 6,997 operational power plants in the United States with a nameplate generation capacity of at least one megawatt. A power plant can have one or more generators, and some generators may use more than one type of fuel.
Electric Power Annual 2012, Table 4.1: Count of Electric Power Industry Power Plants, by Sector, by Predominant Energy Sources within Plant (some plants are double-counted by fuel type in Table 4.1), and Table 4.3: Existing Capacity by Energy Source.
Last updated: December 26, 2013
Other FAQs about Nuclear
- How many and what kind of power plants are there in the United States?
- How much electricity does a nuclear power plant generate?
- How many nuclear power plants are in the United States, and where are they located?
- How old are U.S. nuclear power plants and when was the last one built?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?