U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
What are Ccf, Mcf, Btu, and therms? How do I convert natural gas prices in dollars per Ccf or Mcf to dollars per Btu or therm?
C—equals one hundred (100)
Ccf—equals the volume of 100 cubic feet (cf) of natural gas
M—equals one thousand (1,000)
MM—equals one million (1,000,000)
Mcf—equals the volume of 1,000 cubic feet (cf) of natural gas
MMBtu—equals 1,000,000 British thermal units (Btu) (One Btu is the heat required to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit.)
Therm—One therm equals 100,000 Btu, or 0.10 MMBtu
In 2014 the average heat content of natural gas for the residential, commercial, and industrial sectors was about 1,028 Btu per cf; one Ccf = 102,800 Btu or 1.028 therms; one Mcf = 1.028 MMBtu or 10.28 therms.
You can convert prices from one basis to another:
$ per Ccf divided by 1.028 = $ per therm
$ per therm multiplied by 1.028 = $ per Ccf
$ per Mcf divided by 1.028 = $ per MMBtu
$ per Mcf divided by 10.28 = $ per therm
$ per MMBtu multiplied by 1.028 = $ per Mcf
$ per therm multiplied by 10.28 = $ per Mcf
Last updated: March 30, 2015
Other FAQs about Natural Gas
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish shale gas and coal bed methane production and reserves data?
- How does EIA calculate the year-ago and five-year averages in the Weekly Natural Gas Storage Report?
- How many gallons of diesel fuel and gasoline are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- Which states consume and produce the most natural gas?
- Why am I being charged more for propane than the price on EIA's website?
- How much natural gas does the United States have, and how long will it last?
- How much natural gas is consumed in the United States?
- How much shale gas is produced in the United States?
- What are Ccf, Mcf, Btu, and therms? How do I convert natural gas prices in dollars per Ccf or Mcf to dollars per Btu or therm?
- What are the major factors affecting natural gas prices?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- What is the average price of natural gas for U.S. electric power producers?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What is the volume of world natural gas reserves?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?