U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) does not have data by zip code. EIA has gasoline price data for some cities, and it has data for electric and natural gas distribution utilities:
- Gasoline prices, including taxes, for 10 cities.
- Electricity retail sales (a proxy for end-use consumption) and prices for distribution utilities. Most cities or municipal areas are served by a single distribution utility. However, many utilities serve a larger area than the jurisdictional boundaries of a specific city. The names of the counties, by state, where each electric utility has distribution equipment and which can be used as an estimate of a utility's service territory are in the Service Territory (formerly File 4) of the EIA 861 survey database. In some cases, more than one utility may have distribution equipment in the same county.
- Natural gas delivery/sales and prices. EIA does not have information on the service territory of natural gas utilities.
Last revised: December 5, 2014
Other FAQs about Electricity
- Can customers choose their electricity supplier?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on each power plant in the United States?
- Does EIA have data on the costs for electricity transmission and distribution?
- Does EIA have electricity prices by state?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish data on peak or hourly electricity generation, demand, and prices?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- How is electricity used in United States homes?
- How many and what kind of power plants are there in the United States?
- How many nuclear power plants are in the United States, and where are they located?
- How many smart meters are installed in the U.S. and who has them?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- How much electricity does a nuclear power plant generate?
- How much electricity does an American home use?
- How much electricity is lost in transmission and distribution in the United States?
- How much electricity is used for lighting in the United States?
- How much energy is consumed in the world by each sector?
- How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
- How much of world energy consumption and electricity generation is from renewable energy?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- What is the difference between electricity generation capacity and electricity generation?
- What is the efficiency of different types of power plants?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?