Data Released: September 20, 2012
Data for: 2011
Next Release: September 2013
Re-Release Date: November 27, 2012 (CORRECTION)
Survey form EIA-861 -- Annual Electric Power Industry Report
Data files include information such as peak load, generation, electric purchases, sales, revenues, customer counts and demand-side management programs, green pricing and net metering programs, and distributed generation capacity.
Zip files (f861yy.zip) for years 1999 forward, contain .xls files detailed below, a Layout file (MS Word – specific to the given year's data, which contains column head definitions and descriptions of the data in the excel files), and a .pdf of the Form EIA-861.
- File1 contains aggregate operational data such as control area operators (years prior to 2005), energy balance, and revenue information from each electric utility in the country, including power marketers, and Federal power marketing administrations.
- File1_cao (2005 forward) contains data on control area operators.
- File1_a (2007 forward) contains data on the types of activities each utility engages in, the NERC regions of operation, whether the utility generates power, and if it operates alternative-fueled vehicles.
- File2 contains information on retail revenue, sales, and customer counts, by State and class of service (including the Transportation sector, new in 2003), for each electric distribution utility, or energy service provider in all 50 States, the District of Columbia, the Dominion of Puerto Rico, and the Territories of American Samoa, Guam, and the Virgin Islands.
- File3 contains information on electric utility demand-side management programs, including energy efficiency and load management effects and expenditures, and (2007 forward) the number of customers in time- and incentive-based rate programs (peak data is in megawatts for 2001 forward – in previous years the data are in kilowatts).
- File3a (2007 - 2009) contains the cost percentages by state of energy efficiency and load management programs. In 2010 and forward, the direct cost, incentive payments, indirect costs and total costs are presented in File3, for each state and sector.
- File4 contains the names of the counties, by State, in which the respondent has equipment for the distribution of electricity to ultimate consumers.
- File5 contains aggregate data of the number of customers by State and customer class for Green Pricing and Net Metering programs, as well as (for 2007 forward) the revenue and sales from Green Pricing programs and the energy displaced by Net Metering programs.
- File6 contains information on utility or customer-owned distributed and dispersed generation such as the number, capacity and types of generators.
- File7 (2007 forward) contains data on mergers and acquisitions
- File8 (2007 forward) contains data on advanced meters.
Note: All sales data, including energy efficiency savings, are in megawatthours. Peak and peak reduction data are in megawatts for 2001 forward and kilowatts for previous years. Revenue and expenditure data are in thousand-dollar units.
Contact: Electricity data experts