U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
EIA does not have data by zip code. EIA has gasoline price data for some cities, and it has data for electric and natural gas distribution utilities:
- Gasoline prices, including taxes, for 10 cities.
- Electricity retail sales (a proxy for end-use consumption) and prices for distribution utilities. Most cities or municipal areas are served by a single distribution utility. However, many utilities serve a larger area than the jurisdictional boundaries of a specific city. The names of the counties, by state, where each electric utility has distribution equipment and which can be used as an estimate of a utility's service territory are in the Service Territory (formerly File 4) of the EIA 861 survey database. In some cases, more than one utility may have distribution equipment in the same county.
- Natural gas delivery/sales and prices. EIA does not have information on the service territory of natural gas utilities.
Last revised: December 5, 2014
Other FAQs about General Energy
- Does EIA have energy prices for countries?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) have county-level energy production data?
- Does the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- How do I cite information on EIA's website in a bibliography?
- How many smart meters are installed in the U.S. and who has them?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much energy does a person use in a year?
- How much energy is consumed in residential and commercial buildings in the United States?
- How much energy is consumed in the world by each sector?
- Where can I find out about energy-related grants or tax credits for my home or business?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Who do I contact to complain about high energy prices?
- How much of world energy consumption and electricity generation is from renewable energy?
- What is the United States’ share of world energy consumption?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?