U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How much oil is consumed in the United States?
Only a small amount of crude oil is directly consumed in the United States. Nearly all of the crude oil that is produced in or imported into the United States is refined into petroleum products such as gasoline, diesel fuel, heating oil, and jet fuel, which are then consumed. Liquids produced from natural gas processing are also consumed as petroleum products. Renewable biofuels, such as ethanol and biodiesel, can be used as a substitute for or an additive to refined petroleum products. The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) includes volumes of biofuels in data on total petroleum consumption.1
In 2014, the United States consumed a total of 6.95 billion barrels of petroleum products, an average of 19.05 million barrels per day.2 This total includes about 0.34 billion barrels of biofuels.
1 EIA uses product supplied as a proxy for U.S. petroleum consumption. Product supplied measures the disappearance of these products from primary sources, for example, refineries, natural gas processing plants, blending plants, pipelines, and bulk terminals.
2 Preliminary data for 2014.
Last updated: March 12, 2015
Other FAQs about Crude Oil
- Do we have enough oil worldwide to meet our future needs?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have data on shale (or “tight oil”) production?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does the EIA have data on the movement of crude oil and petroleum products by rail and truck?
- How many gallons of diesel fuel and gasoline are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- How much of the oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil consumed by the United States comes from foreign sources?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and from where?
- What are the products and uses of petroleum?
- What countries are the top world oil net importers?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?