U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How much carbon dioxide is produced by burning gasoline and diesel fuel?
About 19.64 pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2) are produced from burning a gallon of gasoline that does not contain ethanol. About 22.38 pounds of CO2 are produced by burning a gallon of diesel fuel.
EIA estimates1 that U.S. gasoline and diesel fuel consumption for transportation in 2013 resulted in the emission of about 1,095 and 427 million metric tons of CO2 respectively, for a total of 1,522 million metric tons of CO2. This total was equivalent to 83% of total CO2 emissions by the U.S. transportation sector and 28% of total U.S. energy-related CO2 emissions.
Under international agreement, CO2 from the combustion of biomass or biofuels are not included in national greenhouse gas emissions inventories.2 Most of the retail gasoline now sold in the United States contains about 10% fuel ethanol (or E10) by volume. Burning a gallon of E10 produces about 17.68 pounds of CO2 that is emitted from the fossil fuel content. If the CO2 emissions from ethanol combustion are considered, then about 18.95 pounds of CO2 are produced when a gallon of E10 is combusted. About 12.72 pounds of CO2 are produced when a gallon of pure ethanol is combusted.
It is possible to buy biodiesel fuel in many states. Biodiesel fuel is sold with various amounts of biodiesel content. A commonly sold biodiesel fuel is B20, which contains 20% biodiesel and 80% petroleum diesel fuel. Burning a gallon of B20 results in the emission of about 17.90 pounds of CO2 that is emitted from the fossil fuel content. If the emissions from burning the biodiesel in B20 are included, then about 20.22 pounds of CO2 are produced. About 20.13 pounds of CO2 are produced from burning a gallon of B100 (100% biodiesel).
1 As of April 25, 2014.
Last updated: May 21, 2014
Other FAQs about Environment
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How do I convert between short tons and metric tons?
- How does the hole in the ozone layer affect global warming?
- How much carbon dioxide is produced by burning gasoline and diesel fuel?
- How much carbon dioxide is produced per kilowatthour when generating electricity with fossil fuels?
- How much carbon dioxide is produced when different fuels are burned?
- Why do carbon dioxide emissions weigh more than the original fuel?
- How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
- What are greenhouse gases and how do they affect the climate?
- What are the energy-related carbon dioxide emissions by source and sector for the United States?
- What are the greenhouse gas and air pollutant emissions factors for fuels and electricity?
- What are the sources of energy-related carbon dioxide emissions by type of fuel for the United States and the world?