U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
When was the last refinery built in the United States?
There were a total of 144 operable petroleum refineries in the United States as of January 1, 2012.
The "newest" refinery in the United States began operating in 2008 in Douglas, Wyoming. However, the newest significant (or sophisticated) refinery began operating in 1977 in Garyville, Louisiana.
Capacity has also been added to existing refineries through upgrades or new construction. The most recent examples include:
- In 1998, Orion Refinery massively upgraded and reopened a refinery in Norco, Louisiana, which was a small, simple refinery that originally opened in 1967. (It is now owned by Valero.)
- Valero opened a "new" and very sophisticated refinery in 1983 in Corpus Christi, Texas, on the site of a simple refinery that originally opened in 1975.
The newest refineries currently operating in the United States are as follows:
|Year Built||First Operated||Location||Original Owner||Original Capacity||Current Owner||2011 Capacity||Type|
|2008||2008||Douglas, WY||Interline Resources||3,000||Garco Energy||3,600||Simple|
|1993||1993||Valdez, AK||Petro Star||26,300||Petro Star||55,000||Simple|
|1991||1992||Eagle Springs, NV||Petro Source||
|1986||1987||North Pole, AK||Petro Star||6,700||Petro Star||19,700||Simple|
|1981||1982||Thomas, OK||OK Refining||10,700||Ventura||12,000||Simple|
|1978||1979||North Slope, AK||ARCO||13,000||BP Exp AK||12,780||Simple|
|1978||1978||North Pole, AK||Earth Resources||22,600||Flint Hills||219,500||Simple|
|1977||1978||Lake Charles, LA||Calcasieu||6,500||Calcasieu||78,000||Simple|
|1976||1977||Krotz Springs, LA||Gold King||5,000||Alon||80,000||Complex|
|1975||1975||Corpus Christi, TX||Saber||15,000||Valero||142,000||Complex|
|1967||1967||Good Hope, LA||Kirby Industries||6,500||Valero||205,000||Complex|
Last updated: August 3, 2012
Other FAQs about Diesel
- Does EIA publish off-road diesel fuel prices?
- How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
- How many gallons of diesel fuel does one barrel of oil make?
- How much biodiesel is produced, imported, exported, and consumed in the United States?
- How much carbon dioxide is produced by burning gasoline and diesel fuel?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- Why are the retail pump prices for gasoline and diesel fuel in increments of 0.9 cents?
- Why don't fuel prices change as quickly as crude oil prices?
- Why has diesel fuel been more expensive than gasoline?
- What are projected diesel fuel prices for 2013 and for 2014?