U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
When was the last refinery built in the United States?
There were a total of 143 operable petroleum refineries in the United States as of January 1, 2013.
The "newest" refinery in the United States began operating in 2008 in Douglas, Wyoming. However, the newest refinery with atmospheric distillation capacity greater than 100,000 barrels per day began operating in 1977 in Garyville, Louisiana.
Ground was broken in March 2013 for construction of a new refinery in North Dakota. The 20,000-barrel-per-day (bbl/d) Dakota Prairie facility is scheduled to be built in 20 months.
Capacity has also been added to existing refineries through upgrades or new construction. The most recent examples include:
- In 2012, Motiva upgraded its refinery in Port Arthur, Texas, making it the largest refinery in the U.S. with a capacity of 600,250 barrels per calendar day.
- In 2009, Marathon upgraded its Garyville, Louisiana refinery. As of January 1, 2013, the capacity is more than double its original 1977 capacity.
The newest refineries currently operating in the United States are as follows:
|Year Built||First Operated||Location||Original Owner||Original Capacity||Current Owner||2011 Capacity||Type|
|2008||2008||Douglas, WY||Interline Resources||3,000||Antelope Refining||3,800||Simple|
|1993||1993||Valdez, AK||Petro Star||26,300||Petro Star||55,000||Simple|
|1991||1992||Ely, NV||Petro Source||
|1986||1987||North Pole, AK||Petro Star||6,700||Petro Star||19,700||Simple|
|1981||1982||Thomas, OK||OK Refining||10,700||Ventura||12,000||Simple|
|1978||1979||North Slope, AK||ARCO||13,000||BP Exp AK||10,500||Simple|
|1978||1978||North Pole, AK||Earth Resources||22,600||Flint Hills||127,987||Simple|
|1977||1978||Lake Charles, LA||Calcasieu||6,500||Calcasieu||78,000||Simple|
|1976||1977||Krotz Springs, LA||Gold King||5,000||Alon||80,000||Complex|
|1975||1975||Corpus Christi, TX||Saber||15,000||Valero||200,000||Complex|
|1967||1967||Good Hope, LA||Kirby Industries||6,500||Valero||205,000||Complex|
Last updated: July 18, 2013
Other FAQs about Diesel
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish off-road diesel fuel prices?
- How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
- How many gallons of diesel fuel does one barrel of oil make?
- How much biodiesel is produced, imported, exported, and consumed in the United States?
- How much carbon dioxide is produced by burning gasoline and diesel fuel?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- Why are the retail pump prices for gasoline and diesel fuel in increments of 0.9 cents?
- Why don't fuel prices change as quickly as crude oil prices?
- Why has diesel fuel been more expensive than gasoline?
- What are projected diesel fuel prices for 2013 and for 2014?