U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
When was the last refinery built in the United States?
There were 140 operable petroleum refineries in the United States as of January 1, 2015.
Two new refineries began operating in early 2015:
- The 19,000-barrel-per-calendar day (b/cd) Dakota Prairie facility in Dickinson, North Dakota.
- The 42,000 b/cd Kinder Morgan condensate processing facility on the Houston, Texas, ship channel, with plans to double that capacity by the end of 2015.
The newest refinery with significant downstream unit capacity began operating in 1977 in Garyville, Louisiana. That facility came online in 1977 with an initial atmospheric distillation unit capacity of 200,000 b/cd, and as of January 1, 2015 had capacity of 522,000 b/cd.
Capacity has also been added to existing refineries through upgrades or new construction. The most recent examples are:
- In 2012, Motiva upgraded its refinery in Port Arthur, Texas, making it the largest refinery in the United States with a capacity of 603,000 b/cd as of January 1, 2015.
- In 2009, Marathon upgraded its Garyville, Louisiana refinery. As of January 1, 2015, the capacity (b/cd) is more than double its original 1977 capacity.
The newest refineries currently operating in the United States:
|Year Built||First Operated||Location||Original Owner||Original Capacity b/cd||Current Owner||2014 Capacity b/cd|
|2014||2015||Dickinson, ND||Dakota Prairie||19,000||Dakota Praire Refining||19,000|
|2014||2015||Galena Park, TX||Kinder Morgan||42,000||Kinder Morgan||42,000|
|2008||2008||Douglas, WY||Interline Resources||3,000||Antelope Refining||3,800|
|1993||1993||Valdez, AK||Petro Star||26,300||Petro Star||55,000|
|1991||1992||Ely, NV||Petro Source||
|1986||1987||North Pole, AK||Petro Star||6,700||Petro Star||19,700|
|1985||1986||Prudhoe Bay, AK||ARCO||12,000||Phillips 66||15,000|
|1978||1979||North Slope, AK||ARCO||13,000||BP Exploration, AK||10,500|
|1977||1978||Lake Charles, LA||Calcasieu||6,500||Calcasieu||80,000|
|1976||1977||Krotz Springs, LA||Gold King||5,000||Alon||80,000|
|1975||1975||Corpus Christi, TX||Saber||15,000||Valero||205,000|
Last updated: July 1, 2015
Other FAQs about Diesel
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish off-road diesel fuel prices?
- How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
- How many gallons of diesel fuel and gasoline are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much biodiesel is produced, imported, exported, and consumed in the United States?
- How much carbon dioxide is produced by burning gasoline and diesel fuel?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- Why are diesel fuel prices higher than gasoline prices?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?