U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How much ethanol is in gasoline and how does it affect fuel economy?
In 2014, about 13 billion gallons of fuel ethanol were added to the motor gasoline produced in the United States. Fuel ethanol accounted for about 10% of the total volume of finished motor gasoline consumed.
Most of the gasoline now sold in the United States contains some ethanol, but the exact amount varies by region. In general, the ethanol content of motor gasoline does not exceed 10% by volume. Gasoline with 10% ethanol content is referred to as E10, and gasoline with 15% ethanol content is called E15. E85 is a fuel that averages 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. Most of the motor gasoline with more than 10% ethanol is sold in the Midwest.
All gasoline vehicles can use E10. Currently only light-duty vehicles with a model year 2001 or greater can use E15. Only flex-fuel vehicles can use gasoline with an ethanol content greater than E15.
The energy content of ethanol is about 33% less than pure gasoline, although this varies depending on the amount of denaturant that is added to the ethanol. Therefore, vehicle fuel economy may decrease by up to 3.3% when using E10.
Last updated: April 3, 2015
Other FAQs about Gasoline
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
- Does EIA have historical gasoline prices for each state?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish inflation-adjusted gasoline prices?
- How many gallons of diesel fuel and gasoline are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much carbon dioxide is produced by burning gasoline and diesel fuel?
- How much ethanol is in gasoline and how does it affect fuel economy?
- How much gasoline does the United States consume?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What are the projections for U.S. gasoline and diesel fuel prices?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?