U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How much gasoline does the United States consume?
In 2013, about 134.51 billion gallons1 (or 3.20 billion barrels) of gasoline were consumed2 in the United States, a daily average of about 368.51 million gallons (or 8.77 million barrels). This was about 6% less than the record high of about 142.35 billion gallons (or 3.39 billion barrels) consumed in 2007.
1There are 42 U.S. gallons in a barrel.
2EIA uses Product Supplied to approximately represent consumption of petroleum products. It measures the disappearance of these products from primary sources, such as refineries, natural gas processing plants, blending plants, pipelines, and bulk terminals.
Last updated: May 13, 2014
Other FAQs about Gasoline
- Can I tell where the gasoline at my local station comes from?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
- Does EIA have historical gasoline prices for each state?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish inflation-adjusted gasoline prices?
- How many gallons of diesel fuel and gasoline are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much carbon dioxide is produced by burning gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What was the highest U.S. average retail price of regular gasoline?
- What's up (and down) with gasoline prices?
- Why are the retail pump prices for gasoline and diesel fuel in increments of 0.9 cents?
- Why don't fuel prices change as quickly as crude oil prices?
- Why is the United States exporting gasoline when prices are so high?
- How much ethanol is in gasoline and how does it affect fuel economy?
- How much gasoline does the United States consume?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What are the projections for U.S. gasoline and diesel fuel prices?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?