U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration presents relative shares of the major components of the most recently available average monthly retail prices of regular grade gasoline and diesel fuel in the pump graphics in the Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update. The Methodology for Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Pump Components and historical component shares for gasoline and diesel fuel prices are also available.
Last updated: August 5, 2016
Other FAQs about Crude Oil
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have data on the movement of crude oil, ethanol, and biodiesel by rail and truck?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does the world have enough oil to meet our future needs?
- How many gallons of diesel fuel and gasoline are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- How much of the oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil consumed by the United States comes from foreign countries?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and export?
- How much shale (tight) oil is produced in the United States?
- What are the products and uses of petroleum?
- What countries are the top net importers of oil?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?