U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration presents relative shares of the major components of the most recently available average monthly retail prices of regular grade gasoline and diesel fuel in the pump graphics in the Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update. The Methodology for Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Pump Components and historical component shares for gasoline and diesel fuel are also available.
The current federal and state taxes on gasoline and on-highway diesel fuel are in “Table EN1. Federal and state motor fuels taxes” on page 9 of Petroleum Marketing Explanatory Notes (xls file version).
- 8.2.1. Federal excise tax rates on motor fuels and lubricating oil
- 8.2.3. State tax rates on motor fuel 1998-2012
Last updated: December 19, 2014
Other FAQs about Crude Oil
- Do we have enough oil worldwide to meet our future needs?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have data on shale (or “tight oil”) production?
- Does EIA have data on the movement of crude oil and ethanol by rail and truck?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How many gallons of diesel fuel and gasoline are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- How much does it cost to produce crude oil and natural gas?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- Where is the boundary for state and federal offshore oil and gas production?
- Why don't fuel prices change as quickly as crude oil prices?
- Why is the United States exporting gasoline when prices are so high?
- How much of the oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil consumed in the United States comes from foreign sources?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is produced in Alaska and where does it go?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and from where?
- What are the differences between various types of crude oil prices?
- What are the products and uses of petroleum?
- What countries are the top world oil consumers?
- What countries are the top world oil net exporters?
- What countries are the top world oil net importers?
- What countries are the top world oil producers?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?