U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I pay for in a gallon of regular gasoline?
The national average retail price of a gallon of regular gasoline in October 2013 was $3.34. The four main components of the retail price and approximate shares of the total price were
- Crude Oil: 71%.The cost of crude oil as a share of the retail price varies over time and among regions of the country. Refiners paid an average of about $100.00 per barrel of crude oil, or about $2.37 per gallon.
- Refining Costs and Profits: 5%
- Distribution, Marketing, and Retail Costs and Profits: 11%
- Taxes: 13%. Federal excise taxes were 18.4 cents per gallon and state excise taxes averaged 23.52 cents per gallon.
Last updated: December 6, 2013
Other FAQs about Prices
- Are the prices that EIA publishes adjusted for inflation?
- Does EIA have city or county-level energy consumption and price data?
- Does EIA have energy prices for countries?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- Does EIA have gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish coking coal prices?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- Does EIA publish off-road diesel fuel prices?
- How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
- How do I compare heating fuels?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- How much does it cost to produce crude oil and natural gas?
- What was the highest U.S. average retail price of regular gasoline?
- What's up (and down) with gasoline prices?
- Where can I find inflation-adjusted gasoline prices?
- Where can I find out about energy-related grants or tax credits for my home or business?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Who do I contact to complain about high energy prices?
- Why am I being charged more for propane than the price on EIA's website?
- Why are the retail pump prices for gasoline and diesel fuel in increments of 0.9 cents?
- Why don't fuel prices change as quickly as crude oil prices?
- Why has diesel fuel been more expensive than gasoline?
- Why is the United States exporting gasoline when prices are so high?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What are the differences between various types of crude oil prices?
- What are the different coal prices published by EIA?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of regular gasoline?
- What is the outlook for gasoline prices for 2013 and for 2014?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?