U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration presents relative shares of the major components of the most recently available average monthly retail prices of regular grade gasoline and diesel fuel in the pump graphics in the Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update. The Methodology for Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Pump Components and historical component shares for gasoline and diesel fuel are also available.
The current federal and state taxes on gasoline and on-highway diesel fuel are in “Table EN1. Federal and state motor fuels taxes” on page 9 of Petroleum Marketing Explanatory Notes (xls file version).
- 8.2.1. Federal excise tax rates on motor fuels and lubricating oil
- 8.2.3. State tax rates on motor fuel 1998-2012
Last updated: December 19, 2014
Other FAQs about Prices
- Are the prices that EIA publishes adjusted for inflation?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- Does EIA have gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish coking coal prices?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- Does EIA publish inflation-adjusted gasoline prices?
- Does EIA publish off-road diesel fuel prices?
- How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Why am I being charged more for propane than the price on EIA's website?
- Why are diesel fuel prices higher than gasoline prices?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What are the different coal prices published by EIA?
- What are the projections for U.S. gasoline and diesel fuel prices?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?