U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) does not calculate, assess, or regulate diesel fuel surcharges.
- EIA cannot tell you how to calculate a fuel surcharge. Fuel surcharges are negotiated privately by shippers and transportation companies.
- Each company may have its own method for calculating surcharges. Many major transportation carriers have information on their website concerning their surcharge methodology. EIA cannot and does not endorse a particular method. You can perform an Internet search on fuel surcharges for more information.
- EIA collects and disseminates weekly retail diesel fuel price data. Many shippers, transportation companies, and truckers use that weekly retail price information in their fuel pricing formulas.
EIA's Weekly Retail On-Highway Diesel Prices (Monday's prices as of 8:00 a.m. EST)
Last updated: July 6, 2015
Other FAQs about Prices
- Are the prices that EIA publishes adjusted for inflation?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- Does EIA have gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish coking coal prices?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- Does EIA publish inflation-adjusted gasoline prices?
- Does EIA publish off-road diesel fuel prices?
- How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
- How do I compare the cost of heating fuels?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Why am I being charged more for propane than the price on EIA's website?
- Why are diesel fuel prices higher than gasoline prices?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What are the different coal prices published by EIA?
- What are the projections for U.S. gasoline and diesel fuel prices?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?