U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How many smart meters are installed in the U.S. and who has them?
In 20111, 493 U.S. electric utilities had 37,290,374 advanced ("smart") metering infrastructure (AMI) installations. About 77% were installed by Investor Owned utilities and about 90% were residential customer installations.
Advanced metering infrastructure includes meters that measure and record electricity usage at a minimum of hourly intervals and provide the data to both the utility and the utility customer at least once daily. They range from basic hourly interval meters to real-time meters with built-in two-way communication capable of recording and transmitting instantaneous data.
EIA does not have data on natural gas or water meters.
|Type & Number of Utilities with AMI||
|Public & State||24||1,427,940||150,729||23,434||3||1,602,106|
Detailed data on Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) installations for individual utilities in File 8 of the EIA-861 database files.
Other information on smart meter deployments funded by the Smart Grid Investment Grant program under the American Recovery and Investment Act of 2009.
1The most recent annual data that is available.
Last updated: January 10, 2013
Other FAQs about General Energy
- Does EIA have city or county-level energy consumption and price data?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have energy prices for countries?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How do I cite information on EIA's website in a bibliography?
- How many smart meters are installed in the U.S. and who has them?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much energy does a person use in a year?
- How much energy is consumed in residential and commercial buildings in the United States?
- How much energy is consumed in the world by each sector?
- Where can I find out about energy-related grants or tax credits for my home or business?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Who do I contact to complain about high energy prices?
- How much of the world's energy does the United States use?
- How much of world energy consumption and electricity generation is from renewable energy?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?