U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
The U.S. Department of State refers to the region as the Palestinian Territories.
Country Analysis Note
- The Palestinian Territories of the West Bank and Gaza Strip do not have any proved hydrocarbon reserves, but fields on the Israeli side of the boundaries may extend across the West Bank and Gaza borders. The discovery of the Gaza Marine field in the Mediterranean Sea in 2000 indicates the presence of hydrocarbons, although the resources are not yet commercially viable. The Gaza Marine field holds an estimated 1.6 trillion cubic feet in recoverable natural gas resources.
- The offshore Gaza territory may hold additional energy resources, but uncertainty around maritime delineation between Israel, Gaza, and Egypt could limit additional exploration. It appears that Israel's Noa natural gas field is part of a larger structure that crosses into the Gaza offshore area, but confirmation requires further study.
- The Palestinian Territories consumed 23,300 barrels per day (bbl/d) of petroleum and total liquids in 2012, all from imports, because the territories do not have domestic refining capabilities. In recent years most imports of refined petroleum products have been either distillate fuel oil or liquefied petroleum gases. From 2000-2010, those two products accounted for an average of almost 80% of petroleum and liquids consumption in the Palestinian Territories.
- The Palestinian Territories do not currently produce or consume natural gas, but in April 2012 the Palestinian Authority signed a natural gas supply deal with Egypt to help with the proposed conversion of its generating capacity to natural gas-fired facilities. Further, in January 2014 the Israeli government approved plans to supply the Palestinian Authority with gas from its Leviathan field once production commences in 2016 or 2017.
- In 2010, the Palestinian Territories generated only 445 million kilowatthours (KWh) of electricity, enough to meet just 10% of demand. Electricity imports accounted for the remaining 90% of power consumed in 2010, which totaled 4.6 billion KWh.
Analysis Last Updated: March 2014
Overview data for Palestinian Territories+ EXPAND ALL
-- = Not applicable; NA = Not available; E = Estimate value
Sources: EIA. For more detailed data, see International Energy Statistics.
Data last updated: May 30, 2013
Other briefs related to Palestinian Territories
Related International Information
International Energy Outlook yearly energy projections through 2040
Short Term Energy Outlook monthly energy projections through 2014
Annual Energy Outlook yearly US energy projections through 2040
Other International Information
International Energy Agency statistics
United Nations energy statistics
World Bank energy and mining data
International Monetary Fund data and statistics
Eurostat European statisticsSign Up for Email Updates