U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How is electricity used in U.S. homes?
|Estimated U.S. residential electricity consumption by end use, 2014|
|End use||Quadrillion Btu||Billion kilowatthours||Share of total|
|Televisions and related equipment1||0.33||96||7%|
|Furnace fans and boiler circulation pumps||0.15||43||3%|
|Computers and related equipment2||0.12||34||2%|
1 Includes televisions, set-top boxes, home theater systems, DVD players, and video game consoles.
2 Includes monitors and networking equipment.
3 Does not include water heating.
4 Includes small electric devices, heating elements, and motors not listed above. Does not include electric vehicle charging.
Annual Energy Outlook 2015, Table 4: Residential sector key indicators and consumption
Last updated: April 21, 2015
Other FAQs about Electricity
- Can customers choose their electricity supplier?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on each power plant in the United States?
- Does EIA have data on the costs for electricity transmission and distribution?
- Does EIA have electricity prices by state?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish data on peak or hourly electricity generation, demand, and prices?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- How is electricity used in U.S. homes?
- How many and what kind of power plants are there in the United States?
- How many nuclear power plants are in the United States, and where are they located?
- How many smart meters are installed in the United States, and who has them?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- How much electricity does a nuclear power plant generate?
- How much electricity does an American home use?
- How much electricity is lost in transmission and distribution in the United States?
- How much electricity is used for lighting in the United States?
- How much energy is consumed in the world by each sector?
- How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
- How much of world energy consumption and electricity generation is from renewable energy?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- What is the difference between electricity generation capacity and electricity generation?
- What is the efficiency of different types of power plants?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?