U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How much energy does a person use in a year?
In 2011, total energy use per person (or per capita consumption) in the United States was about 313 million British thermal units (Btu). The world per capita consumption of energy1 in 2011 was about 75 million Btu.
1Consumption data for most countries does not include biomass fuels, such as wood and charcoal used for heating and cooking, which are major energy sources in many countries. The U.S. Energy Information Administration does not have an estimate for the amount of those fuels consumed in other countries.
Last updated: December 16, 2014
Other FAQs about General Energy
- Does EIA have energy prices for countries?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) have county-level energy production data?
- Does the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- How do I cite information on EIA's website in a bibliography?
- How many smart meters are installed in the U.S. and who has them?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much energy does a person use in a year?
- How much energy is consumed in residential and commercial buildings in the United States?
- How much energy is consumed in the world by each sector?
- Where can I find out about energy-related grants or tax credits for my home or business?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Who do I contact to complain about high energy prices?
- How much of world energy consumption and electricity generation is from renewable energy?
- What is the United States’ share of world energy consumption?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?