U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) publishes county-level energy production data only for:
- Coal: Annual data are in Table 2: Production and number of mines by state, county, and mine type in the Annual Coal Report.
- Electricity generation: Monthly and annual data by fuel/energy source at individual power plants are in the EIA-923 database files. The state and county location for the power plants are in the PlantYyy file of the EIA-860 database.
- Oil and natural gas: Production estimates for selected regions are in the Drilling Productivity Report. The counties that are included in each region are in the Region Counties worksheet of the report data file.
The location of coal mines, power plants, and county boundaries are available in the U.S. Energy Mapping System.
Last updated: December 3, 2015
Other FAQs about General Energy
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How do I compare the cost of heating fuels?
- How many smart meters are installed in the United States, and who has them?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much energy does a person use in a year?
- How much energy is consumed in residential and commercial buildings in the United States?
- How much energy is consumed in the world by each energy end-use sector?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- How much of world energy consumption and production is from renewable energy?
- What is the United States’ share of world energy consumption?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?