U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) have county-level energy production data?
EIA publishes county-level energy production data only for:
- Coal: Annual data are in Table 2: Production and number of mines by state, county, and mine type in the Annual Coal Report.
- Electricity generation: Monthly and annual data by fuel/energy source at individual power plants are in the EIA-923 database files. The state and county location for the power plants are in the PlantYyy file of the EIA-860 database.
- Oil and natural gas: For selected regions, data are in the Drilling Productivity Report . The counties that are included in each region are in the Region Counties worksheet of the report data file.
The location of coal mines and power plants are available in the U.S. Energy Mapping System.
Last updated: December 12, 2014
Other FAQs about General Energy
- Does EIA have energy prices for countries?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) have county-level energy production data?
- Does the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- How do I cite information on EIA's website in a bibliography?
- How many smart meters are installed in the U.S. and who has them?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much energy does a person use in a year?
- How much energy is consumed in residential and commercial buildings in the United States?
- How much energy is consumed in the world by each sector?
- Where can I find out about energy-related grants or tax credits for my home or business?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Who do I contact to complain about high energy prices?
- How much of world energy consumption and electricity generation is from renewable energy?
- What is the United States’ share of world energy consumption?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?