U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
Total U.S. energy-related emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2) by the electric power sector in 2012 were 2,039 million metric tons, or about 39% of total U.S. energy-related CO2 emissions.
CO2 emissions from U.S. electricity generation by source, 20121
|Source||Million Metric Tons||Share of Total|
1Preliminary 2012 data.
2Miscellaneous wastes and from geothermal power generation.
Monthly Energy Review, Tables 12.1 and 12.6, contain most recent estimates of U.S. energy-related CO2 emissions, total and by the electric power sector.
Electric Power Annual, Table 3.9, contains historical data on CO2 emissions from all electricity generation (conventional power plants and combined-heat-and-power plants).
Last updated: August 23, 2013
Other FAQs about Electricity
- Can I choose the electricity supplier where I live?
- Can I generate and sell electricity to an electric utility?
- Does EIA have city or county-level energy consumption and price data?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on each power plant in the United States?
- Does EIA have data on the costs for electricity transmission and distribution?
- Does EIA have electricity prices by state?
- Does EIA have information on the service territories of U.S. electric utilities?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- Does the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) publish data on peak or hourly electricity generation, demand, and prices?
- How is electricity used in United States homes?
- How many and what kind of power plants are there in the United States?
- How many nuclear power plants are in the U.S. and where are they located?
- How many smart meters are installed in the U.S. and who has them?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- How much electricity does a typical nuclear power plant generate?
- How much electricity does an American home use?
- How much electricity is lost in transmission and distribution in the United States?
- How much electricity is used for cooling in the United States?
- How much electricity is used for lighting in the United States?
- How much energy is consumed in the world by each sector?
- How much of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions are associated with electricity generation?
- How much of world energy consumption and electricity generation is from renewable energy?
- How old are U.S. power plants?
- What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?
- What is a capacity factor?
- What is the difference between electricity generation capacity and electricity generation?
- What is the efficiency of different types of power plants?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?