U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How much petroleum does the United States import and export?
In 2015, the United States imported approximately 9.4 million barrels per day (MMb/d) of petroleum from about 82 countries. Petroleum includes crude oil, natural gas plant liquids, liquefied refinery gases, refined petroleum products such as gasoline and diesel fuel, and biofuels including ethanol and biodiesel. About 78% of gross petroleum imports were crude oil.
In 2015, the United States exported about 4.8 MMb/d of petroleum to 136 countries. Most of the exports were petroleum products. The resulting net imports (imports minus exports) of petroleum were about 4.6 MMb/d.
The top five source countries of U.S. petroleum imports in 2015 were Canada, Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, Mexico, and Colombia.
Top sources and amounts of U.S. petroleum imports, exports, and net imports, 20151
(million barrels per day)
|Import sources||Gross imports||Exports||Net imports|
|Total, all countries||9.40||4.75||4.65|
|OPEC countries||2.90 (31%)||0.25||2.65|
|Persian Gulf countries||1.51 (16%)||0.01||1.50|
|Top five countries2|
|Saudi Arabia||1.06 (11%)||0.00||1.06|
1 Preliminary data for 2015.
2 Based on gross imports by country of origin.
- How much oil consumed in the United States comes from foreign countries?
- Petroleum (historical monthly and annual data for the U.S.)
- Detailed historical data on U.S. petroleum imports and exports
- Articles on U.S. petroleum production, imports, exports, and consumption
- U.S. Oil Import Dependence: Declining no matter how you measure it
- Measuring U.S. Dependence on Foreign Oil: The What, Where, and When Factors
Last updated: April 1, 2016
Other FAQs about Crude Oil
- Do we have enough oil worldwide to meet our future needs?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have data on shale (or tight oil) production?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does the EIA have data on the movement of crude oil and petroleum products by rail and truck?
- How many gallons of diesel fuel and gasoline are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- How much of the oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil consumed by the United States comes from foreign countries?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and export?
- What are the products and uses of petroleum?
- What countries are the top net importers of oil?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?