U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I convert data in one unit of measure to a different unit of measure?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) has resources for converting data for energy, fuels, and electricity in physical units to heat content equivalents and for converting English units to metric units:
- Energy Calculators
- Heat content and metric conversion factors
- Unit of Measure Equivalents (for electricity)
EIA usually publishes petroleum data in physical units of barrels or barrels per day. Barrels per day are calculated as the total number of barrels (produced, imported, exported, or consumed) during a calendar period (week, month, or year) divided by the number of days in the calendar period. There are 42 U.S. gallons in a barrel.
Energy Units and Calculators
Last updated: July 7, 2015
Other FAQs about Conversion & Equivalents
- How do I compare the cost of heating fuels?
- How do I convert between short tons and metric tons?
- How do I convert data in one unit of measure to a different unit of measure?
- What are Ccf, Mcf, Btu, and therms? How do I convert natural gas prices in dollars per Ccf or Mcf to dollars per Btu or therm?