U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) have data on the movement of crude oil and ethanol by rail and truck?
EIA has published articles on the volumes of crude oil, refined petroleum products, and ethanol transported by railroads and trucks within the United States (see learn more below), but EIA does not publish this information or data on a regular basis.
EIA is aware that there has been an increase in the volume of crude oil transported by rail in the past several years. The increased use of rail for transporting oil is a result of the increases in crude oil production in North Dakota, Texas, and other states, which have exceeded the capacity of existing pipelines to move oil from these areas to refineries in other areas of the country. Large volumes of crude oil inventories and pipeline take-away capacity constraints at Cushing, Oklahoma have also contributed to increases in the use of rail for transporting oil. Ethanol is mainly transported by rail from ethanol producing facilities to blending and export terminals.
EIA currently only collects data on volumes transported by pipeline, tanker (ship), and barge.
Last updated: December 12, 2014
Other FAQs about Crude Oil
- Do we have enough oil worldwide to meet our future needs?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have data on shale (or “tight oil”) production?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) have data on the movement of crude oil and ethanol by rail and truck?
- Does the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- How many gallons of diesel fuel and gasoline are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- How much does it cost to produce crude oil and natural gas?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- Where is the boundary for state and federal offshore oil and gas production?
- Why don't fuel prices change as quickly as crude oil prices?
- Why is the United States exporting gasoline when prices are so high?
- How much of the oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil consumed in the United States comes from foreign sources?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is produced in Alaska and where does it go?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and from where?
- What are the differences between various types of crude oil prices?
- What are the products and uses of petroleum?
- What countries are the top world oil consumers?
- What countries are the top world oil net exporters?
- What countries are the top world oil net importers?
- What countries are the top world oil producers?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?