U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) have data on the movement of crude oil and ethanol by rail and truck?
EIA has published articles on the volumes of crude oil, refined petroleum products, and ethanol transported by railroads and trucks within the United States (see learn more below), but EIA does not publish this information or data on a regular basis.
EIA is aware that there has been an increase in the volume of crude oil transported by rail in the past several years. The increased use of rail for transporting oil is a result of the increases in crude oil production in North Dakota, Texas, and other states, which have exceeded the capacity of existing pipelines to move oil from these areas to refineries in other areas of the country. Large volumes of crude oil inventories and pipeline take-away capacity constraints at Cushing, Oklahoma have also contributed to increases in the use of rail for transporting oil. Ethanol is mainly transported by rail from ethanol producing facilities to blending and export terminals.
EIA currently only collects data on volumes transported by pipeline, tanker (ship), and barge.
Last updated: December 12, 2014
Other FAQs about Renewables
- Can I generate and sell electricity to an electric utility?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) have data on the movement of crude oil and ethanol by rail and truck?
- How many alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles are there in the U.S.?
- How much U.S. energy consumption and electricity generation comes from renewable sources?
- How much biodiesel is produced, imported, exported, and consumed in the United States?
- How much ethanol is in gasoline and how does it affect fuel economy?
- How much ethanol is produced, imported, and consumed the United States?
- How much of world energy consumption and electricity generation is from renewable energy?