U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) publishes projections for average residential heating fuel prices for each winter in the October through March editions of the Short Term Energy Outlook (STEO), Table WF01. Average Consumer Prices and Expenditures for Heating Fuels During the Winter. The projections are for natural gas, heating oil, propane, and electricity on a national and regional level.
There are also projections for U.S. average annual and monthly natural gas, heating oil, and electricity prices in Table 2: U.S. Energy Prices, and regional projections for natural gas in Table 5.b and for electricity in Table 7.c.
Last reviewed: October 21, 2015
Other FAQs about Prices
- Are the prices that EIA publishes adjusted for inflation?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- Does EIA have gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish coking coal prices?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- Does EIA publish inflation-adjusted gasoline prices?
- Does EIA publish off-road diesel fuel prices?
- How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
- How do I compare the cost of heating fuels?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Why am I being charged more for propane than the price on EIA's website?
- Why are diesel fuel prices higher than gasoline prices?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What are the different coal prices published by EIA?
- What are the projections for U.S. gasoline and diesel fuel prices?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?