U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
Which states consume and produce the most natural gas?
U.S. consumption of natural gas in 2011 was 24.4 Tcf, the top five states that consumed the most natural gas were:
- Texas — 3.6 Tcf (Trillion Cubic Feet)
- California — 2.2 Tcf
- Louisiana — 1.4 Tcf
- Flordia — 1.2 Tcf
- New York — 1.2 Tcf
U.S.-marketed production of natural gas in 2011 was 24 Tcf. The top 5 producing states were:
- Texas — 7.1 Tcf
- Louisiana — 3.0 Tcf
- Wyoming — 2.2 Tcf
- Oklahoma — 1.9 Tcf
- Colorado — 1.6 Tcf
In addition, there was 1.8 Tcf of production from the Federal Offshore Gulf of Mexico.
Last updated: January 15, 2013
Other FAQs about Natural Gas
- Can I obtain a list of companies involved in the natural gas industry, such as utilities, pipeline companies, and storage operators?
- Does EIA have city or county-level energy consumption and price data?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How can I choose my natural gas supplier in my state?
- How does EIA calculate the year-ago and five-year averages in the Natural Gas Weekly Storage Report?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatt-hour of electricity?
- How much does it cost to produce crude oil and natural gas?
- Where are the historical spot prices for natural gas?
- Where can I find shale gas and coal bed methane production and reserves data?
- Where is the boundary for state and federal offshore oil and gas production?
- Which states consume and produce the most natural gas?
- Why am I being charged more for propane than the price on EIA's website?
- How much natural gas does the United States have and how long will it last?
- How much natural gas is consumed (used) in the U.S.?
- How much shale gas is produced in the United States?
- What are Ccf, Mcf, Btu, and therms? How do I convert prices in Ccf and Mcf to Btus and therms?
- What are the major factors affecting natural gas prices?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- What is the average price of natural gas for electric-power-generation?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What is the total working gas capacity in underground natural gas storage?
- What is the volume of world natural gas reserves?
- What percentage of homes in the U.S. use natural gas?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?