U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How much spent (used) fuel is stored at U.S. nuclear power plants?
In 2002, the most recent year for which EIA has data, there were 161,662 fuel assemblies, or 46,268 metric tons (51,002 short tons) of spent fuel stored at U.S. commercial reactors sites.
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission has information on spent fuel storage technology.
Last updated: May 21, 2013
Other FAQs about Nuclear
- How many and what kind of power plants are there in the United States?
- How much electricity does a typical nuclear power plant generate?
- How many nuclear power plants are in the U.S. and where are they located?
- How many new nuclear power plants are being built in the United States?
- How old are U.S. nuclear power plants and when was the last one built?
- How much spent (used) fuel is stored at U.S. nuclear power plants?