U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
When was the last refinery built in the United States?
There were a total of 143 operable petroleum refineries in the United States as of January 1, 2013.
The "newest" refinery in the United States began operating in 2008 in Douglas, Wyoming. However, the newest refinery with atmospheric distillation capacity greater than 100,000 barrels per day began operating in 1977 in Garyville, Louisiana.
Ground was broken in March 2013 for construction of a new refinery in North Dakota. The 20,000-barrel-per-day (bbl/d) Dakota Prairie facility is scheduled to be built in 20 months.
Capacity has also been added to existing refineries through upgrades or new construction. The most recent examples include:
- In 2012, Motiva upgraded its refinery in Port Arthur, Texas, making it the largest refinery in the U.S. with a capacity of 600,250 barrels per calendar day.
- In 2009, Marathon upgraded its Garyville, Louisiana refinery. As of January 1, 2013, the capacity is more than double its original 1977 capacity.
The newest refineries currently operating in the United States are as follows:
|Year Built||First Operated||Location||Original Owner||Original Capacity||Current Owner||2011 Capacity||Type|
|2008||2008||Douglas, WY||Interline Resources||3,000||Antelope Refining||3,800||Simple|
|1993||1993||Valdez, AK||Petro Star||26,300||Petro Star||55,000||Simple|
|1991||1992||Ely, NV||Petro Source||
|1986||1987||North Pole, AK||Petro Star||6,700||Petro Star||19,700||Simple|
|1981||1982||Thomas, OK||OK Refining||10,700||Ventura||12,000||Simple|
|1978||1979||North Slope, AK||ARCO||13,000||BP Exp AK||10,500||Simple|
|1978||1978||North Pole, AK||Earth Resources||22,600||Flint Hills||127,987||Simple|
|1977||1978||Lake Charles, LA||Calcasieu||6,500||Calcasieu||78,000||Simple|
|1976||1977||Krotz Springs, LA||Gold King||5,000||Alon||80,000||Complex|
|1975||1975||Corpus Christi, TX||Saber||15,000||Valero||200,000||Complex|
|1967||1967||Good Hope, LA||Kirby Industries||6,500||Valero||205,000||Complex|
Last updated: July 18, 2013
Other FAQs about Crude Oil
- Do we have enough oil worldwide to meet our future needs?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have data on shale (or “tight oil”) production?
- Does EIA have data on the movement of crude oil and ethanol by rail and truck?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How dependent is the United States on foreign oil?
- How many gallons of gasoline does one barrel of oil make?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- How much does it cost to produce crude oil and natural gas?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- Where is the boundary for state and federal offshore oil and gas production?
- Why don't fuel prices change as quickly as crude oil prices?
- Why is the United States exporting gasoline when prices are so high?
- How much of the oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil does the United States consume per year?
- How much oil is produced in Alaska and where does it go?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and from where?
- What are the differences between various types of crude oil prices?
- What are the products and uses of petroleum?
- What countries are the top world oil consumers?
- What countries are the top world oil net exporters?
- What countries are the top world oil net importers?
- What countries are the top world oil producers?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of regular gasoline?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?