U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
When was the last refinery built in the United States?
There were 142 operable petroleum refineries in the United States as of January 1, 2014.
The "newest" refinery in the United States began operating in 2008 in Douglas, Wyoming with an initial capacity of 3,000 barrels per calendar day (bbl/cd). As of January 1, 2014, the facility has 3,800 bbl/cd of capacity. However, the newest complex refinery with significant downstream unit capacity began operating in 1977 in Garyville, Louisiana. That facility came online in 1977 with an initial atmospheric distillation unit capacity of 200,000 bbl/cd and as of January 1, 2014 had capacity of 522,000 bbl/cd.
Ground was broken in March 2013 for construction of a new refinery in Dickinson, North Dakota. The 20,000 barrel per stream day (bbl/sd) Dakota Prairie facility is scheduled to open in December 2014. Kinder Morgan plans to start up a 50,000 bbl/sd condensate processing facility on the Houston ship channel by the end of 2014.
Capacity has also been added to existing refineries through upgrades or new construction. The most recent examples include
- In 2012, Motiva upgraded its refinery in Port Arthur, Texas, making it the largest refinery in the United States with a capacity of 600,250 bbl/cd.
- In 2009, Marathon upgraded its Garyville, Louisiana refinery. As of January 1, 2014, the capacity (bbl/cd) is more than double its original 1977 capacity.
The newest refineries currently operating in the United States are as follow
|Year Built||First Operated||Location||Original Owner||Original Capacity Bbl/cd||Current Owner||2014 Capacity Bbl/cd||Type|
|2008||2008||Douglas, WY||Interline Resources||3,000||Antelope Refining||3,800||Simple|
|1993||1993||Valdez, AK||Petro Star||26,300||Petro Star||55,000||Simple|
|1991||1992||Ely, NV||Petro Source||7,000||Foreland||2,000||Simple|
|1986||1987||North Pole, AK||Petro Star||6,700||Petro Star||19,700||Simple|
|1985||1986||Prudhoe Bay, AK||ARCO||12,000||ConocoPhillips||15,000||Simple|
|1981||1982||Thomas, OK||OK Refining||10,700||Ventura||12,000||Simple|
|1978||1979||North Slope, AK||ARCO||13,000||BP Exp AK||10,500||Simple|
|1978||1978||North Pole, AK||Earth Resources||22,600||Flint Hills||126,535||Simple|
|1977||1978||Lake Charles, LA||Calcasieu||6,500||Calcasieu||78,000||Simple|
|1976||1977||Krotz Springs, LA||Gold King||5,000||Alon||80,000||Complex|
|1975||1975||Corpus Christi, TX||Saber||15,000||Valero||200,000||Complex|
Last updated: June 25, 2014
Other FAQs about Crude Oil
- Do we have enough oil worldwide to meet our future needs?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have data on shale (or tight oil) production?
- Does EIA have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does the EIA have data on the movement of crude oil and petroleum products by rail and truck?
- How many gallons of diesel fuel and gasoline are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- How much of the oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil consumed by the United States comes from foreign sources?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and from where?
- What are the products and uses of petroleum?
- What countries are the top world oil net importers?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?