U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
The taxes on retail gasoline and diesel fuel, in cents per gallon, as of July 1, 2015:
|Average of all states||26.49||27.24|
State-by-state fuel taxes
- 8.2.1. Federal excise tax rates on motor fuels and lubricating oil
- 8.2.3. State tax rates on motor fuel 1998-2014
Last updated: November 23, 2015
Other FAQs about Gasoline
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
- Does EIA have historical gasoline prices for each state?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish inflation-adjusted gasoline prices?
- How many gallons of diesel fuel and gasoline are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much carbon dioxide is produced by burning gasoline and diesel fuel?
- How much ethanol is in gasoline, and how does it affect fuel economy?
- How much gasoline does the United States consume?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What are the projections for U.S. gasoline and diesel fuel prices?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?