U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Markets & Finance
2014 Second-Quarter Financial Review
Release date: October 14, 2014
Next release date: January 2015
- This analysis focuses on the financial and operating trends of 124 oil and natural gas companies ("energy companies").
- The data come from public financial statements each company submits to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, which a data service, Evaluate Energy, aggregates for ease of data analysis.
- For consistency, companies that were later acquired by another company in the group were kept in the prior year data. For example, Frontier Oil and Holly Corporation's individual numbers were kept through 2011, and afterwards became HollyFrontier Corporation.
- A slide that represents a figure on an annualized basis means it is the sum of the four quarters ending for that time period. The purpose of this is to smooth volatility and seasonality.
- Cash flow statements list various sources and uses of cash; this analysis focuses on three main sources (operations; net debt; and sales of property, plant, and equipment) and three main uses (capital expenditure, dividends to shareholders, and net share issuance).