Home > Households, Buildings & Industry > Energy Efficiency > Energy and Greenhouse Gas Analysis

Energy and Greenhouse Gas Analysis

Posted Date: October 1999
Page Last Modified:  August 2007

This section contains analysis covering all sectors of the United States and issues related to the energy use, energy efficiency, and carbon emission indicators. New analysis will be added to the web site as they become available.


All Sectors   

United States Energy Usage and Efficiency: Measuring Changes Over Time, increasing emphasis has been placed on energy efficiency as a vital component of the United States’ energy strategy. This was evident with the passing of the Energy Policy Act of 1992 (EPACT) [1]. EPACT promotes energy-efficiency programs such as building energy-efficiency standards, residential energy-efficiency ratings, and energy-efficient mortgages. It also encourages investments in conservation and energy efficiency for each of the sectors in the United States (U.S.). (September 1998)


The Growth in Electricity Demand in U.S. Households, 1981-2001: Implications for Carbon Emissions Presented, in 2001 energy consumption in the U.S. household sector was 6 percent higher than in 1980 (13 percent if weather-adjusted). During this same time period, the number of households increased by almost 31 percent. Clearly, U.S. households, on average, seem to be using energy more efficiently than they did in 1980


Trends in Building-Related Energy and Carbon Emissions: Actual and Alternate Scenarios , eighty-two percent of all greenhouse gas emitted by human activity is energy-related carbon dioxide. Since 1990, 48 percent of the increase in U.S. carbon emissions can be attributed to increasing emissions from the building sector


Energy-Related Carbon Emissions in Manufacturing, manufacturing, which accounts for about 80 percent of industrial energy consumption, also accounts for about 80 percent of industrial energy-related carbon emissions. (Agriculture, mining, forestry, and fisheries account for the remaining 20 percent.) In 1994, three industries, petroleum, chemicals, and primary metals, emitted almost 60 percent of the energy-related carbon in manufacturing

Electricity Generation in the Manufacturing Sector: A Historical Perspective, the presence of smaller generation technologies has changed the thinking away from large power stations and regulation. Under restructuring, electricity generation will no longer be regulated. Additionally new technology has changed the thinking toward the notion that there may be real gains if generation was moved away from the central power station and close to the end user (August 1999)

Production, Energy, and Carbon Emissions: A Data Profile of the Iron and Steel Industry, the complexities of the manufacturing sector unquestionably make energy-use analysis more difficult here than in other energy-using sectors. Therefore, this paper examines only one energy-intensive industry within the manufacturing sector--blast furnaces and steel mills (SIC 3312). SIC 3312, referred to as the iron and steel industry in this paper, is profiled with an examination of the products produced, how they are produced, and energy used


Household Vehicles Energy Use: Latest Data & Trends , this report, Household Vehicles Energy Use: Latest Data & Trends, provides details on the nation's energy use for household passenger travel. A primary purpose of this report is to release the latest consumer-based data on household vehicles and expenditures, derived from the U.S. Department of Transportation's 2001 National Household Travel Survey (NHTS) and independent estimates of vehicle miles per gallon and fuel prices at that time


For questions about the "Energy Related Greenhouse Gas Analysis ," please contact:

Behjat Hojjati
Program Manager
Phone: 202-586-1068
Fax: 202-586-0018