U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Country Analysis Brief Overview
- South Africa has one of the world's largest synthetic fuels industries, which accounts for nearly all of its domestic liquid fuels supply.
- South Africa has the world's ninth largest recoverable coal reserves and holds 95 percent of Africa's total coal reserves. Additionally, it is the fifth largest coal exporter in the world.
- South Africa is the sole importer of natural gas from Mozambique, which is used to supply Sasol's operations at the Secunda CTL plant and power some gas-fired plants. The gas supplied to the Mossel Bay GTL plant is domestically produced offshore.
- South Africa has the second largest crude oil refinery system in Africa and imports the majority of its crude oil from members of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC).
- South Africa's total electricity consumption has grown by about 20 percent over the last decade. The government has set out ambitious plans to expand the sector in an attempt to avoid another power crisis, which the country experienced in early 2008.
Analysis Last Updated: January 17, 2013
Overview data for South Africa+ EXPAND ALL
-- = Not applicable; NA = Not available; F = Forecast value
Sources: EIA. For more detailed data, see International Energy Statistics.
Data last updated: February 12, 2013
Related International Information
International Energy Outlook yearly energy projections through 2035
Short Term Energy Outlook monthly energy projections through 2014
Annual Energy Outlook yearly US energy projections through 2040Sign Up for Email Updates