U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
What was the highest U.S. average retail price of regular gasoline?
According to EIA’s weekly survey, the U.S. average retail price of regular gasoline reached $4.11 per gallon on July 7, 2008. On an inflation-adjusted basis (expressed in real January 2014 dollars using the Consumer Price Index) the highest monthly average price was $4.39 per gallon in June 2008.
Last updated: March 6, 2014
Other FAQs about Prices
- Are the prices that EIA publishes adjusted for inflation?
- Does EIA have city or county-level energy consumption and price data?
- Does EIA have energy prices for countries?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- Does EIA have gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish coking coal prices?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- Does EIA publish off-road diesel fuel prices?
- How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
- How do I compare heating fuels?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- How much does it cost to produce crude oil and natural gas?
- What was the highest U.S. average retail price of regular gasoline?
- What's up (and down) with gasoline prices?
- Where can I find inflation-adjusted gasoline prices?
- Where can I find out about energy-related grants or tax credits for my home or business?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Who do I contact to complain about high energy prices?
- Why am I being charged more for propane than the price on EIA's website?
- Why are the retail pump prices for gasoline and diesel fuel in increments of 0.9 cents?
- Why don't fuel prices change as quickly as crude oil prices?
- Why has diesel fuel been more expensive than gasoline?
- Why is the United States exporting gasoline when prices are so high?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What are the differences between various types of crude oil prices?
- What are the different coal prices published by EIA?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of regular gasoline?
- What is the outlook for gasoline prices for 2014 and for 2015?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?