Release Date for 2012: October 29, 2013
Next Release date: October 29, 2014
Re-Release 2012 data: December 9, 2013 (CORRECTION)
Data files include information such as peak load, generation, electric purchases, sales, revenues, customer counts and demand-side management programs, green pricing and net metering programs, and distributed generation capacity.
The EIA-861S (Short Form) was created in 2012. Approximately 1,100 utilities completed this form in lieu of the EIA-861. The short form has fewer questions and collects retail sales data as an aggregate and not by customer sector. EIA has estimated the customer sector breakdown for this data and has included under the file called "Retail Sales." Advanced metering data and time-of-use data are collected on both Form EIA-861 and Form EIA-861S.
In 2012 the data files were renamed to help users find the data. Data files prior to 2012 retained their original names, and, in the description, below the prior names are referred to as "Formerly."
- Operational Data - Formerly File 1, contains aggregate operational data for the source and disposition of energy and revenue information from each electric utility in the country, including power marketers and Federal power marketing administrations. Form EIA-861 data only.
- Utility Data - Formerly File 1_a, (2007 forward) contains data on the types of activities each utility engages in, the NERC regions of operation, the ISO or RTO region in which entity conducts operations (2010 forward), whether the utility generates power, and if it operates alternative-fueled vehicles. Form EIA-861 data only.
- Retail Sales - Formerly File 2, contains information on retail revenue, sales, and customer counts, by State and class of service (including the transportation sector, new in 2003), for each electric distribution utility, or energy service provider. Form EIA-861 data and an estimate for EIA-861S data by customer sector included.
- Demand-Side Management - Formerly File 3, contains information on electric utility demand-side management programs, including energy efficiency and load management effects and expenditures, and (2007 forward) the number of customers in time-based rate programs (peak data are in megawatts for 2001 forward – in previous years the data are in kilowatts). Both Form EIA-861 and 861S data for time-based rate programs.
- Advanced Meters - Formerly File 8, contains data on Automated Meter Readings (AMR) and Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI). Both Form EIA-861 and EIA-861S data.
- Net Metering - Formerly File 5, (for 2007 forward) contains number of customers and displaced energy, by sector and state. For 2010 forward, contains capacity, customer count, and energy sold back (optional question) by sector and state and by technology type: photovoltaic, wind, and other. Form EIA-861 data only.
- Short Form - (2012 forward) contains information on retail revenue, sales, and customer counts by state. Form EIA-861S data in aggregate.
- Distributed Generation - Formerly File 6, contains information on utility or customer-owned distributed and dispersed generation such as the number, capacity and types of generators. For 2010, we added capacity by photovoltaic and storage generation types. Form EIA-861 data only.
- Green Pricing - Formerly File 5, (for 2007 forward) contains number of customers, sales and revenue, by sector and state. Form EIA-861 data only.
- Balancing Authority - Formerly File 1_cao, contains data on Balancing Authorities. Both Form EIA-861 and EIA-861S data.
- Service Territory - Formerly File 4, contains the names of the counties, by state, in which the respondent has equipment for the distribution of electricity to ultimate consumers. Both Form EIA-861 and EIA-861S data.
- Mergers - Formerly File 7, (2007 forward) contains data on mergers and acquisitions. Form EIA-861 data only.
Note: : All sales data, including energy efficiency savings, are in megawatthours. Peak and peak reduction data are in megawatts for 2001 forward and kilowatts for previous years. Revenue and expenditure data are in thousand-dollar units.
Contact: Electricity data experts