U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Electricity Monthly Update
With Data for January 2017 | Release Date: March 24, 2017 | Next Release Date: April 25, 2017
End Use: January 2017
Retail rates/prices and consumption
In this section, we look at what electricity costs and how much is purchased. Charges for retail electric service are based primarily on rates approved by state regulators. However, a number of states have allowed retail marketers to compete to serve customers and these competitive retail suppliers offer electricity at a market-based price.
EIA does not directly collect retail electricity rates or prices. However, using data collected on retail sales revenues and volumes, we calculate average retail revenues per kWh as a proxy for retail rates and prices. Retail sales volumes are presented as a proxy for end-use electricity consumption.
Average revenue per kWh by state
Average revenue per kilowatthour figures decreased in 11 states in January compared to last year. The largest declines were found in Louisiana (down 11.7%), Delaware, and Ohio (each down 3%). Thirty-nine states and the District of Columbia increased compared to last year, led by Oklahoma (up 12%), Indiana (up almost 10%), and Alaska (up 8.4%).
Retail Service by Customer Sector
Average Revenues/Sales (¢/kWh) Retail Sales (1000s MWh) End-use sector January 2017 Change from January 2016 January 2017 Change from January 2016 Year to Date Residential 12.22 2.0% 128,997 -1.4% 128,997 Commercial 10.19 1.7% 109,225 -0.6% 109,225 Industrial 6.57 2.7% 75,596 -0.4% 75,596 Transportation 9.32 -1.0% 666 0.9% 666 Total 10.15 1.9% 314,483 -0.9% 314,483
Source: U.S. Energy Information Administration
Total average revenues per kilowatthour were up 1.9% to 10.15 cents in January compared to last year. Three sectors were up on the month, the Industrial sector with a 2.7% rise, the Residential sector with a 2% rise, and the Commercial sector with a 1.7% rise. Retail sales were down in the Residential, Commercial and Industrial sectors by 1.4%, 0.6, and 0.4, respectively. The Transportation sector showed a slight increase in retail sales from last year, growing by 0.9%.
State retail sales volumes were down in 28 states and the District of Columbia in January compared to last year. West Virginia recorded the largest year-over-year decline, down 11.2%, Virginia and South Carolina had the next largest declines, down 7.8% and 7.3%, respectively. Twenty-two states had retail sales volume increases in January, led by Idaho (up 11.8%), Oregon (up 10.6%), and Montana (up 10%).
Heating Degree Days (HDD) were lower across most of the country, down in 37 states and the District of Columbia compared to last January. Twelve states, all in the West and Rocky Mountain regions had an increase in HDDs. The largest year-over-year increases were found in Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Washington, and Oregon. All these states had an increase of more than 20% in HDDs from a year ago.