the entire report in PDF format
World Oil Refining, Logistics, and Demand Model (WORLD)
The WORLD model is a linear programming model which simulates the operation
of the worldwide petroleum industry based on user-specified assumptions regarding
the time horizon and scenario of interest. The WORLD model simulates
regional effects. Insights at the level of individual countries or refinery
type can be obtained, but only where the model has been appropriately disaggregated.
Last Model Update:
Part of Another Model?
- Office: Office of Integrated Analysis and Forecasting
- Division: International, Economic, and Greenhouse Gases Division
- Model Contact: Dan Butler
- Telephone: (202) 586-9503
- E-Mail Address: George.Butler@eia.doe.gov
Energy Information Administration, WORLD Oil Refining Logistics Demand Model,
(Washington, DC, March 1994)
Archive Media and Installation Manual(s):
See Integrating Module of the National Energy Modeling System.
- Geographic: Regional Disaggregation
- Representation of the world's major regions with flexibility to redefine
regions to meet specific needs
- Flexibility to create refining subregions, e.g., to distinguish different
classes of refiners
- Time Unit/Frequency: Annual through 2020
- Product(s): Crude oils and refined products
- Economic Sector(s): Petroleum refining and transportation.
- Model Structure: WORLD is a linear programming model which
simulates the operation of the world-wide petroleum industry based on user-specified
assumptions regarding the time horizon and scenario of interest
- Modeling Technique: Linear programming
- Special Features: None.
Non-DOE Input Sources:
Various industry sources for refinery processes, crude oil assays, and refined
- Oil and Gas Journal
- IEA/OECD, Quarterly and annual statistics on OECD Nations but also numerous
- UN, mainly for third world countries
- Crude supply and product demand data
- Hydrocarbon Processing
- NPRA, API, and NPC data.
DOE Data Input Sources:
Energy Information Administration, International Energy Annual, DOE/EIA-0219
(Washington, DC, annually)
- Petroleum Supply Annual
- International Energy Annual, Annual Energy Outlook, International
- Crude supply and product demand data.
Module of the National Energy Modeling System.