U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?
EIA has data on the types and amounts of energy produced in each state:
- Coal, crude oil, natural gas, and fuel ethanol production in physical units and British Thermal Unit (Btu) equivalents back to 1960 in our State Energy Data System (SEDS). To locate data for each state, click on the "Change State/Territory" field, which is above the "Overview" tab. Select a state and scroll over the "Data" tab, and in the drop down menu select a data period under "Energy Estimates (SEDS)." Scroll down the resulting page and select the "Production" bar to access pdf and csv files for data on the types and amounts of energy produced.
- Coal — most recent weekly, quarterly, and annual
- Crude Oil — most recent monthly and annual
- Natural Gas — most recent monthly and annual
- Natural Gas Plant Liquids — most recent monthly and annual
- Electricity — generation by fuel/energy source
Last updated: July 2, 2014
Other FAQs about Crude Oil
- Do we have enough oil worldwide to meet our future needs?
- Does EIA have data on U.S. oil refineries and their locations?
- Does EIA have data on shale (or “tight oil”) production?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) have data on the movement of crude oil and ethanol by rail and truck?
- Does the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) have data on the type or quality of crude oil?
- How many gallons of diesel fuel and gasoline are made from one barrel of oil?
- How much coal, natural gas, or petroleum is used to generate a kilowatthour of electricity?
- How much does it cost to produce crude oil and natural gas?
- When was the last refinery built in the United States?
- Where is the boundary for state and federal offshore oil and gas production?
- Why don't fuel prices change as quickly as crude oil prices?
- Why is the United States exporting gasoline when prices are so high?
- How much of the oil produced in the United States is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil consumed in the United States comes from foreign sources?
- How much oil is consumed in the United States?
- How much oil is produced in Alaska and where does it go?
- How much oil is used to make plastic?
- How much petroleum does the United States import and from where?
- What are the differences between various types of crude oil prices?
- What are the products and uses of petroleum?
- What countries are the top world oil consumers?
- What countries are the top world oil net exporters?
- What countries are the top world oil net importers?
- What countries are the top world oil producers?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the difference between crude oil, petroleum products, and petroleum?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?