U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?
The U.S. Energy Information Administrration (EIA) has data on the types and amounts of energy produced in each state:
- Coal, crude oil, natural gas, and fuel ethanol production in physical units and British Thermal Unit (Btu) equivalents back to 1960 in the State Energy Data System (SEDS). To locate data for each state (from the main SEDS page), click on the Change State/Territory field, which is above the Overview tab. Select a state and scroll over the Data tab, and in the drop down menu, select a data period under Energy Estimates (SEDS). Scroll down the resulting page and select the Production bar to access pdf and csv files for data on the types and amounts of energy produced.
- Coal—most recent weekly, quarterly, and annual
- Crude oil—most recent monthly and annual
- Natural gas—most recent monthly and annual
- Natural gas plant liquids—most recent monthly and annual
- Electricity—generation by fuel/energy source
Last updated: July 6, 2014
Other FAQs about General Energy
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How do I compare the cost of heating fuels?
- How many smart meters are installed in the United States, and who has them?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much energy does a person use in a year?
- How much energy is consumed in residential and commercial buildings in the United States?
- How much energy is consumed in the world by each energy end-use sector?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- How much of world energy consumption and production is from renewable energy?
- What is the United States’ share of world energy consumption?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?