U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
The U.S. Energy Information Administration’s (EIA) interactive U.S. Energy Mapping System includes the location of power plants1 and the location of major electric power transmission lines2 in the United States. EIA currently does not publish any additional information on the location of power lines.
The street address, and the latitude and longitude of the power plants are in the "PlantYyy" file of the survey Form EIA-860 database. The EIA electricity application programming interface (API) also contains the latitude and longitude of power plants.
1Includes all electric power plants that are operating, on standby, or on short-term or long-term out of service, with a combined nameplate capacity of 1 megawatt or more.
2Includes existing electric power lines in the United States with a voltage of 345 kilovolts or more.
Layers information for interactive map
Last updated: February 4, 2016
Other FAQs about General Energy
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of U.S. natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How do I compare the cost of heating fuels?
- How many smart meters are installed in the United States, and who has them?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much energy does a person use in a year?
- How much energy is consumed in residential and commercial buildings in the United States?
- How much energy is consumed in the world by each energy end-use sector?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- How much of world energy consumption and production is from renewable energy?
- What is the United States’ share of world energy consumption?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?