U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
EIA has an interactive map that includes the location of power plants and major electric power transmission lines in the United States. To learn more about this map, play a short instructional video on how to use the EIA State Energy Portal tool.
EIA currently does not publish any other information on the location of power lines.
The street address and the latitude and longitude of power plants with one megawatt or greater in generation capacity are in the "PlantYyy" file of the EIA-860 database. The EIA's electricity Application Programming Interface (API) also contains the latitude and longitude of those power plants.
Last updated: February 5, 2014
Other FAQs about General Energy
- Does EIA have city or county-level energy consumption and price data?
- Does EIA have county-level energy production data?
- Does EIA have energy prices for countries?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of electric power plants and transmission lines in the United States?
- Does EIA have maps or information on the location of natural gas and oil pipelines?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- How do I cite information on EIA's website in a bibliography?
- How many smart meters are installed in the U.S. and who has them?
- How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
- How much energy does a person use in a year?
- How much energy is consumed in residential and commercial buildings in the United States?
- How much energy is consumed in the world by each sector?
- Where can I find out about energy-related grants or tax credits for my home or business?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Who do I contact to complain about high energy prices?
- How much of the world's energy does the United States use?
- How much of world energy consumption and electricity generation is from renewable energy?
- What types and amounts of energy are produced in each state?