U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the different coal prices published by EIA?
EIA publishes various coal prices including futures prices, mine prices, captive and open market sales prices, and delivered prices.
- Spot Price is the price for a one-time open market transaction for immediate delivery purchased "on the spot" at current market rates.
- NYMEX Futures Price are prices on contracts on the New York Mercantile Exchange (NYMEX) for the delivery of a specified quantity of a commodity at a specified time and place in the future.
- Mine Sales Price is calculated from the free on board (FOB) value of coal at the coal mine without any insurance or freight transportation charges added.
- Captive Sales Price is the FOB sale price for coal used by the producing company or sold to affiliated or parent companies.
- Open Market Sales Price is the price of coal sold on the open market to companies other than the reporting company's parent company or a subsidiary of the parent company.
Last updated: May 13, 2014
Other FAQs about Prices
- Are the prices that EIA publishes adjusted for inflation?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- Does EIA have gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish coking coal prices?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- Does EIA publish inflation-adjusted gasoline prices?
- Does EIA publish off-road diesel fuel prices?
- How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Why am I being charged more for propane than the price on EIA's website?
- Why are diesel fuel prices higher than gasoline prices?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What are the different coal prices published by EIA?
- What are the projections for U.S. gasoline and diesel fuel prices?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?