U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
Why am I being charged more for propane than the price on EIA's website?
The price you are being charged for propane can vary widely from the propane prices that the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) publishes. EIA publishes the average of the prices reported by respondents to surveys. The prices do not include taxes, or any premiums or discounts that you may be charged or offered by a propane supplier. The propane prices that EIA publishes are only a general guide for propane prices in your area.
EIA cannot tell you if you are being charged a reasonable or fair price for propane. There is no government regulation or control of propane prices. If you think you are being charged unfairly by a propane supplier, you may contact your local Better Business Bureau and/or your state consumer protection agency, usually administered by the Attorney General. They may be able to assist you.
Weekly average propane prices, October through March, for the United States, selected states, and regions of the country
Heating Oil and Propane Update–FAQ’s for data users
Winter Fuels Explanatory Notes
Educational information on propane and propane prices
Last updated: February 03, 2016
Other FAQs about Prices
- Are prices published by EIA adjusted for inflation?
- Does EIA have energy consumption and price data for cities, counties, or by zip code?
- Does EIA have ethanol price data?
- Does EIA have gasoline prices by city, county, or zip code?
- Does EIA have projections for energy production, consumption, and prices for individual states?
- Does EIA publish coking coal prices?
- Does EIA publish electric utility rate, tariff, and demand charge data?
- Does EIA publish inflation-adjusted gasoline prices?
- Does EIA publish off-road diesel fuel prices?
- How do I calculate diesel fuel surcharges?
- How do I compare the cost of heating fuels?
- How much does it cost to generate electricity with different types of power plants?
- Where can I get help paying my utility bills?
- Why am I being charged more for propane than the price on EIA's website?
- Why are diesel fuel prices higher than gasoline prices?
- How much tax do we pay on a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What are the different coal prices published by EIA?
- What are the projections for U.S. gasoline and diesel fuel prices?
- What can I expect to pay for heating this winter?
- What do I pay for in a gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel?
- What is the outlook for home heating fuel prices this winter?