The PC Electronic Data Reporting Option, or PEDRO, system enables users to enter Energy Information Administration (EIA) survey form data on a personal computer (PC) using interactive data entry screens and validate the accuracy of the data through an electronic data editing process. A communication program included as part of the system transfers the data to EIA and verifies the accuracy of the transmission. PEDRO currently supports data collection for the following EIA surveys:
- EIA-14 Refiners' Monthly Cost Report
- EIA-182 Domestic Crude Oil First Purchase Report
- EIA-782A Refiners'/Gas Plant Operators' Monthly Petroleum Product Sales Report
- EIA-782B Resellers'/Retailers' Monthly Petroleum Product Sales Report
- EIA-782C Monthly Report of Prime Supplier Sales of Petroleum Products Sold for
- EIA-800 Weekly Refinery Report
- EIA-801 Weekly Bulk Terminal Report
- EIA-802 Weekly Product Pipeline Report
- EIA-803 Weekly Crude Oil Stocks Report
- EIA-804 Weekly Imports Report
- EIA-805 Weekly Terminal Blenders Report
- EIA-809 Weekly Oxygenate Report
- EIA-810 Monthly Refinery Report
- EIA-811 Monthly Bulk Terminal Report
- EIA-812 Monthly Product Pipeline Report
- EIA-813 Monthly Crude Oil Report
- EIA-814 Monthly Imports Report
- EIA-815 Monthly Terminal Blenders Report
- EIA-816 Monthly Natural Gas Liquids Report
- EIA-817 Monthly Tanker and Barge Movement Report
- EIA-819 Oxygenate Telephone Report
Hardware / Software Requirements
Check to make sure you have the necessary hardware and software before you begin installing PEDRO. The following is a list of required items.
- Windows-based personal computer (PC)
- Windows NT, 2000, XP, or Vista
- Approximately 30 Mb of free disk space for the PEDRO system files, plus up to 10 Mb for
- Internet Service Provider (ISP) with appropriate link or modem
Downloading and Installing
Follow the steps below to download the file containing the application, to your PC decompress the file, and install the application. Please PRINT these instructions prior to beginning the installation process!
1) Download the current Pedro application. You are prompted to either "Run this program from its current location" or "Save this program to disk." Select "Save this program to disk," and click the OK button.
2) A box is displayed, asking where you wish to copy the "PEDRO.EXE" file. You may copy it anywhere on your hard drive, but it is recommended that you NOT copy it directly to your root directory, "C:\". The directory in which you copy this file is NOT necessarily the directory where the system will be installed. The file is a self-extracting compressed file (zipped).
Decompress the Application:
1) Open Windows Explorer and go to the drive/directory into which you've copied the PEDRO.EXE file from the Internet, and double-click on the PEDRO.EXE file. A DOS box is displayed, showing that the Pedro setup files have been extracted into the directory in which the PEDRO.EXE file is located. Close this box when the extraction is complete.
1) In Windows Explorer, go to the drive/directory into which you've just extracted the setup files, and double-click on the SETUP.EXE file.
2) As the Pedro install begins, an InstallShield Welcome screen is displayed; click the Next button to continue. Enter your User Name and Company Name in the next screen, and click Next. The InstallShield Wizard box is displayed. Click the Next button to proceed.
NOTE: If you have installed an earlier version of PEDRO on this PC, the "Welcome" screen is displayed first, with three options: "Modify," "Repair" or "Remove." Select "Modify" and click the Next button. See "Upgrade/New Installation Notes" in step 3 below.
3) On the "Setup Type" screen, you now have the option to download the entire system or, if you prefer, you can choose to load only spreadsheet and/or PDF versions of all of the forms included within PEDRO. Instructions for each survey can also be loaded. Choose "New Installation" if you wish to enter your data electronically using PEDRO and if you DO NOT have an older version of PEDRO on your PC -- select "Upgrade Installation" if you DO have an older version of PEDRO and wish to retain any data you've entered using the older version.
Upgrade/New Installation Notes:
4) Click the Next button after selecting the desired type of installation.
- If you currently have an older version of PEDRO, but DO NOT wish to retain your old data, select "New Installation."
- If you select either New or Upgrade, all of the spreadsheets, PDFs, and Instructions will be downloaded to the "C:\pedro" folder on your PC.
- If you do NOT wish to enter your data electronically and simply want electronic versions of each form to complete without using PEDRO, select the "Survey Form in PDF Format" and/or "Survey Form in Spreadsheet Format" from this "Setup Type" screen.
- If you currently have PEDRO 6.6 and wish to retain your data, select "Upgrade Installation."
5) The "Choose Destination Location" box is displayed. By default, PEDRO will be installed to the "C:\PEDRO" directory. However, if you wish to install it elsewhere, click the Browse button and select the desired drive/folder in which you'd like to install PEDRO. Click OK. Click the Next button on the "Choose Destination Location" box.
6) The "Start Copying Files" screen is displayed. Click the Next button to begin the installation.
7) A progress bar is displayed, indicating the status of the installation. When finished, click the Finish button.
8) To run PEDRO, click the Windows Start button. Then click Programs, and select EIA Applications from the list of programs. On the fly-out "EIA Applications" menu, select PEDRO 6.7. PEDRO will open on your PC.
For complete instructions for running Pedro and Pedro Communications, please see the Pedro User's Guide and Pedro Quick Installation Guide in PDF format.
If you require any assistance in installing or running Pedro, please call EIA at (202) 586-9659.
Occasionally, updates to the PEDRO software are required that are not significant enough to justify a complete recreation and mailout of the software for every user. Instead, a "patch" is developed. A patch is a bundled file (or files) that are sent out to PEDRO users to update the system without completely replacing or reinstalling PEDRO.