U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
EIA-176 Electronic Filing System (EFS)
Released: January 20, 2015
- An IBM-compatible personal computer (PC), with an Internet connection
- The Windows operating system (2000, NT, XP, Vista, Windows 7 or 8)
- At least 20.0 megabytes of free disk space on the hard drive
The Form EIA-176, "Annual Report of Natural and Supplemental Gas Supply and Disposition," is used to collect data on the supply and disposition of natural gas in the United States. These data are collected by the Energy Information Administration (EIA), U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), to fulfill its responsibilities for gathering and reporting energy data. Reporting on the Form EIA-176 is mandatory.
Electronic Filing System
The Form EIA-176 Electronic Filing System (EFS) provides respondents with an efficient and effective means for filing the form using a personal computer (PC). Respondents have a choice of submitting data via either secure file transfer or email.
Hardware / Software Requirements
The minimum hardware requirements needed to install and use the EFS are:
Downloading and Installing
Follow the steps below to download the file containing the application, to your PC decompress the file, and install the application. You may wish to PRINT these instructions prior to beginning the installation process!
Download and Install Application:
1) Download EFS Application. In the current version of Internet Explorer, you are asked "Do you want to run or save EFS176_2014.EXE from www.eia.gov?" Select "Run." You may see a warning that "the publisher couldn't be verified; are you sure you want to run the program?" Again, select "Run."
2) As the EFS install begins, an InstallShield Welcome screen is displayed; click the Next button to continue.
3) A Choose Destination Location screen is displayed. The default directory to which the system will be installed is:
4) Next, the Setup Type box is displayed. Select the first option, "176 EFS," to install the program, and click Next. The Select Program Folder box is displayed. The Program Folders name you enter will be the name you see in your Windows "Programs" menu. The default is EFS176_2014. Click the Next button; the Start Copying Files screen is displayed. Click the Next button to complete the installation.
(If you wish to change the directory, click the Browse button.)
Click the Next button to continue the installation.
5) A Setup Status box will appear, displaying the status of the installation. When finished, a final box is shown, informing you that the installation was completed successfully. Click Finish to exit the installation process.
For complete instructions for running the EFS, see the EFS User's Guide in PDF format.
If you require any assistance in installing or running the EFS, call EIA at (877) 800-5261.