U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis
The U.S. Department of State refers to the region as the Palestinian Territories.
Country Analysis Note
- The Palestinian Territories of the West Bank and Gaza Strip do not have any proved hydrocarbon reserves, but fields on the Israeli side of the boundaries may extend across the West Bank and Gaza borders.
- The offshore Gaza territory may hold additional energy resources, but uncertainty around maritime delineation between Israel, Gaza, and Egypt could limit additional exploration. It appears that Israel's Noa natural gas field is part of a larger structure that crosses into the Gaza offshore area, but confirmation will require further study.
- The Palestinian Territories consumed 20,000 barrels per day (bbl/d) of petroleum in 2011, all of which was imported because the territories do not have domestic refining capabilities. In recent years most imports of refined petroleum products have been either distillate fuel oil or liquefied petroleum gases. From 2000-2010, those two products accounted for an average of almost 80 percent of petroleum consumption in the Palestinian Territories.
- The Palestinian Territories do not produce or consume natural gas. However, the discovery of the Gaza Marine field in the Mediterranean Sea in 2000 means that this could change at some point in the future. The Gaza Marine field holds an estimated 1.6 trillion cubic feet in recoverable natural gas resources, but development work has been slow to progress.
- In 2010, the Palestinian Territories generated only 445 million kilowatthours (KWh) of electricity, enough to meet just 10 percent of demand. Electricity imports accounted for the remaining 90 percent of power consumed in 2010, which totaled 4.6 billion KWh.
- In April 2012, the Palestinian Authority signed a natural gas supply deal with Egypt to help with the proposed conversion of its generating capacity to natural gas-fired facilities. There are few details available about the agreement, and no timeline is in place for initial volumes.
Analysis Last Updated: May 2013
Overview data for Palestinian Territories+ EXPAND ALL
-- = Not applicable; NA = Not available; E = Estimate value
Sources: EIA. For more detailed data, see International Energy Statistics.
Data last updated: May 30, 2013
Other briefs related to Palestinian Territories
Related International Information
International Energy Outlook yearly energy projections through 2040
Short Term Energy Outlook monthly energy projections through 2014
Annual Energy Outlook yearly US energy projections through 2040Sign Up for Email Updates